What is Ashiatsu?
“Ashi” in Japanese means “foot.” “Astu” means “pressure.” In the US, Ashiatsu has become the known term to describe barefoot massage, however barefoot massage of this now well-known style originally derived from Chavutti Thirumal, an ancient massage technique developed in Kerala, India. The Asian styles of barefoot massage, traditionally known as Ashiatsu, were not gliding effleurage, but rather compression-over-clothing. For centuries, throughout the East, Chavutti Thirumal and other styles of barefoot massage were used to create balance in the Qi (marma points/meridians) of the body and alleviate everything from headaches to heartaches. Many versions of Ashiatsu have developed over these years, and opposed to that particular term’s original roots, gliding effleurage is what it’s most famous for now in the United States. Deep, gliding, compression. Padded, sanitized, soles, provide a luxurious feel that is not only deeper, but more soothing and comfortable than traditional massage. Feet vs. hands stimulate the clients’ parasympathetic nervous system, allowing them to dive deeper into relaxation. Therapists can achieve better, more satisfactory results for clients, while sustaining fewer injuries to their own muscles & joints.
It is simply the most effective massage one can give or receive!
Benefits of Ashiatsu Massage
• Enhances immunity by stimulating lymph flow-the body’s natural defense system.
• Releases endorphins-the body’s natural pain killer
• Lessens depression by increasing serotonin
• Lessons anxiety by decreasing the stress hormone cortisol
• Promotes relaxation by increasing oxytocin, a hormone associated with contentment
• Enhances capacity for calm thinking and creativity
• Increases circulation getting fresh oxygen and blood to vital organs and muscle tissue
• Relaxes and softens tense, overused, tired, or injured muscles
• Relieves back pain
• Improves posture, bringing the body back into alignment
• Creates space and improves range of motion and flexibility
• Reduces formation of excessive scar tissue
• Reduces high blood pressure which can lead to heart attack or stroke
• Can help with pain management in conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, and sciatica